“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard” (c.) Allen Ginsberg
A claim is a central part of the academic paper creating the foundation on which other components of the text are built. An informative essay should include a thesis statement, and I’ll try to explain to you what a thesis statement means and which types it can be.
This is the main idea, the most important thought the author wants to present to the audience. The author focuses on the main idea in the thesis statement consisting of one or more sentences. It shouldn’t be very spreading, but the laconic formulation of the main idea presenting a topic of your paper and the opinion of the author about it.
Table of Content
Which Characteristics Does a Successful Thesis Have?
There are a lot of things you should know about this component of the paper to become a successful writer and get a high grade.
Where to place this component in the text?
It’s placed in the introduction part of the text or at the end of the second paragraph if an essay is long and spreading. It should show your reader the main direction for how the text should be developing. Having read the thesis statement, a reader should catch what this paper is about.
In order to create a persuasive thesis statement, you should follow several tips:
– The writer should avoid writing a very long thesis statement. It should be placed in the middle of the first paragraph or late in the essay;
– Your thesis statement should be as clear as possible no to confuse the reader using simple words and specific formulations;
– You should specify the opinion you want to present to the reader. You should avoid formulations such as “The point of “The point of my essay is.”
You should indicate the thesis statement as soon as possible to get to know what direction your text will go in. It’s okay when you edit your thesis during writing the arguments. You can refine and change it. When you understand which sense the argument has, you will obtain the sense of the thesis.
When you are writing a thesis, you should answer the next questions:
– Does your thesis consist of two large statements connected with each other due to the lexical remedies including words “but”, “and”, “for”, “or”, “so”, “yet”, etc?
– Have you used a subordinating conjunction including “although”, “through”, “since”, “because” to connect to part of the statement?
– Do two statements express an unfocused thesis?
If your answers are positive, you should concentrate on one clear statement and develop it.
How to Write a Correct Claim?
It should also be very laconic and express your thought very clearly. This component of the paper should be very limited to complete the topic in several pages. Build the topic of the paper to hit the mark. An author of the paper should get across a specified concept than write a spreading text confusing the reader. It should be specific as possible. A writer shouldn’t engage in empty talk for several pages.
Now, we’re talking about different types of thesis statements.
A thesis can be superficial and broad.
For instance, Nine stories by J. Salinger make reference to the war, either directly or indirectly.
This type of thesis doesn’t cover the topic very deeply and doesn’t allow a reader to understand all the aspects of this concept.
The second type of thesis is more extended and presents the concept with the explanation and allows a reader to dive into the problem more deeply. You can compare contrast.
For instance, Nine stories by J. Salinger make reference to the war expressing a concept of Post-Traumatic-Stress-Disorders that war veterans had to deal with in the post-WWII period.
This one allows a reader to understand a concept more deeply due to the explanation presented in the sentence. It’s more preferable when writing an argumentive essay.
How to Write a Clear Claim?
You should check whether your thesis is clear or confusing a reader.
As all the essay you are writing should be clear for the reader, the thesis statement should also be as high as possible.
I’d like to give you several pieces of advice on how to write a clear claim:
– When it comes to the claim, you should avoid obscure words including “good”, “bad”, “positive”, “negative”, “easy”, “difficult”, etc. It has to be informative and persuasive.
– Writing this component of the text, you should avoid jargonisms, slang words, professional words, and all the unclear vocabulary for your readers.
– Also, a writer should avoid abstract concepts including “society”, “welfare”, “evil”, “culture”, and so on.
These concepts stay unclear if you don’t provide the reader with a detailed explanation. Don’t suppose that everything you write is simple for understanding. Check whether concepts used in the text need definitions, and then place these definitions in the most suitable places. Everybody understands this world and concepts in one’s way, and the same concept can be interpreted in different ways. To avoid misunderstandings, you should specify concepts as much as possible. Let’s treat two types of the claim: unclear and specified.
Original thesis: Salinger reflects the values that are found in the post-war American society.
Revised thesis: In the story Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut and Teddy, Salinger reflects the values that are found in the post-war American society including an excessive attention to the appearance and the material world.
The next rule you should follow when writing a claim is that it includes the opinion of the writer about the problem reflected in the essay. An author should tell a reader about its view on the problem.
A claim isn’t a simple announce of the topic and issue, otherwise, it will not be interesting for the reader. It has to be provided with specific evidence, which will be argued during all the assay. Also, you can only provide the reader with the plan on how you are going to develop the topic.
It’s better when you will avoid reflecting a generally accepted fact or restoring to a simple pro/ con claim. It has to be disputable and provide the reader with mental food and a real reason for reading by the audience the whole text to the end. When the claim includes a dispute, it’s useful and interesting for reading.
Now, I’ll provide you with some other tips on how to write a successful claim.
– Avoid simple announcing a topic in the claim and provide the reader with the additional information about why you have decided to cover this topic or discuss this issue.
Inccorect claim: In this paper, I will tell you about the influence of the hot yoga on the human health.
Correct claim: Hot yoga cleanses toxins from the body due to profuse sweating.
– Writing a claim, you should avoid generally accepted facts or primitive judgments not to oversimplify a complex problem you are going to discuss in your essay.
Incorrect claim: We must take care of the environment.
Correct claim: We must take care of the environment because emissions of the chemical compounds into the air have greatly altered and modified the composition and energy balance of the atmosphere.
The second one has the analysis of the problem of the environmental pollution and explains why it’s so dangerous for the atmosphere.
– When you try to argue the claim, an explanation “just because” isn’t the best way you can argue the claim
Incorrect claim: Hot yoga is the most useful type of the yoga.
Correct claim: The high temperature in which the asanas and breathing exercises are performed reduces the likelihood of injury.