If you are a student you are sure to be aware of it already or should get to know it as soon as possible, that the key to an essay success is an attention-catching hook, an expression, a sentence or a phrase which will grab the attention of your readers, assessor among them, and keep it.
The term hook actually makes it obvious that you should act like a real fisherman and snag your audience interest from the very first lines. Nevertheless, it is usually easier said than done and finding a good hook may arise difficulties among young people, especially freshmen. To prevent you from being stumbled with this part of essay writing we have prepared this article. Study it carefully and make the most of it!
Most likely you would have to perform some brainstorming and do a bit of writing, then alter your wording minimum several times, before you get a really good hook working for your research paper best.
Keep it in mind that even a good and solid paper needs to be started with an engaging and catchy introduction, otherwise it risks to be put aside by the reader. It may be especially tricky to give a proper wording to your hook if you are still trying to figure out what your essay is about, or which facts and evidence should be given priority or some structure-related aspect, whatever.
Here is a kind of instruction helpful for generating a first-class attention grabber.
1. Plan. Define the type of paper you are working on, make up your mind as to the style you are going to use, draw the image of your target audience and decide on the structure of your piece of writing.
At this stage, you should remember that different essay types require different strategies of writing and what is good for a narrative or descriptive research paper does not work for critical or persuasive essays.
2. Outline. Set the main goal of your written assignment and figure out the way you intend to achieve it. Seeing the structure and the main points of your work more clearly, you’ll get a better understanding of what type of hook you really need.
3. Highlight the thesis statement. The thesis is the idea you are going to convey in your written assignment, all the other parts of your essay should support it, so is the hook. It is one of the major aspects supporting the key problem of your research.
4. Mind your audience. It’s important to think of those people, who will read your paper. Tailor your hook with your readers in mind, their interests and things able to draw the attention of your target audience.
5. Craft your hook. Having taken all the above into consideration create the attention-grabber relating to the thesis of your essay. It has to introduce the problem to your audience and at the same time match the overall style and structure of your piece of writing. It’s no good at times to start a serious paper with a joke, do you agree?
6. Transition matters. it’s not enough to simply create a catchy attention grabber it should be used as an opener to your whole work and the transition to the main part of your writing should go smoothly through the introduction. Keep it in mind, when working on your research paper!
Types of Hooks Used in Essays
When thinking over the grabber for your piece of writing, you may consider the following options.
Interesting fact. The exciting fact which your audience is unlikely to know may be an ideal hook for your academic work. It should certainly relate to your topic, but it even does not necessarily have to contain specific figures.
Put a thesis. This trick can be used for the essays if your thesis is really unique and you are impatient to share it with your readers.
Quote. Choosing the right quote can serve you several aims at a time. The quotation from an authoritative person will definitely add support to your reasoning. It can also create intrigue and top performance is when your quote can be related to your thesis in several ways and can in different ways be applied through your text.
Joke. Jokes and anecdotes can really be perfect attention grabbers, they may at times introduce even serious topics. Anyway starting with humor you arise sympathy with your audience defusing the tension of a serious academic atmosphere. Nevertheless, do not think your whole piece of writing should be funny, it’s still an educational assignment requiring serious attitude and framing.
Use a great story as an opening. Top of the list here are stories about great people, that’s why you have to study some biographies of people related to your subject matter carefully and find correlations with your issue under review. People always enjoy interesting stories, so give them one.
Set a scene. This type of hook comes close to the one described above, the main aim of you as an author here is to make your audience experience emotions, not only read but feel. You can use scenes from real life, fiction or science fiction of the earlier years, which have already become a reality or the setting from modern fantasy stories, which can still become real in future.
Strike with statistical data. Interesting statistics and unexpected number can be a perfect hook to your work, which will also demonstrate your readers and assessors that you’ve made a deep and profound research on the subject you write about.
Reveal a misconception. There are multiple old beliefs modern people still consider true, which have been already disproven. Find some facts of such kind related to the topic of your study and use the most striking one to catch your audience attention in no time.
Play with contradictions. Some contradictive expressions may really hook the attention of the reader for long combining the opposite ideas in a single sentence.
Create a metaphor or a simile. Some simple everyday image spiced with a drop of unpredictability can become your fantasy starter.
Ask a question. There two ways here to go. You are free to choose a rhetorical question, which requires no answer as it’s obvious but makes people think or a well-constructed original question on your topic, which will provoke your readers’ critical thinking and desire to study your writing further to find out the reply.
Now with all the above in mind, you are simply unable to fail. You know enough and a little more to create perfect hooks of various kind, so we do not expect you can face any problems with this part of your academic writing.