Review Essay Writing Guide
We have devoted this article fully to give you a hand and help in review essay writing. You just need a spare time and attentively read our tips in order to get the maximum of our advice. No doubts that once you’re done, you will be more confident in writing your survey essay.
Table of Content
- 1 What Does ‘Review Essay’ Mean
- 2 3 ‘Seems to be Obvious’ tips
- 3 Step by Step Guide How to Write an Excellent Review Essay
The 1st one is to develop an argument about what is reviews in your paper and the 2nd is to complete a well-organized and decent review. What stands for critical analysis It’s your personal evaluation, an option provided by the writer of the paper. Keep in mind that it has to be based on other papers and options of your teachers or other experts. Review essays are aimed to be written following pattern or structure as we usually call it intro, the summary of the novel, critical discussion and the last but not the least – conclusion.
What Does ‘Review Essay’ Mean
Review essay is a type of paper which is aimed to evaluate the writer’s feelings on the most important topics mentioned by the author of a piece of literature (novel, poetry, etc.) The major difference is a critical discussion of the book while other options of the writer are supported by other evidence. You have to pay attention to two important things.
Now let’s come closer to review essay as the type of essay. What do you need to know about it
– Keep up with the structure.
Even review essay implies you’re doing a survey for something, you need to understand that even the most creative essay in the world must have structure. Structure helps to define the goal of your essay, it raises readers’ perception, it helps to present theoretical parts, analysis and other sections step by step. In brief, the structure is the king which helps to run the government called ‘your paper’. Do not hesitate to devote time editing, proofreading your paper including styling and formatting issues. Again, if you need professional help, do not hesitate to ask for it.
– Not a regular assignment
Writing an essay of such type is a common assignment that students must do in high school college. Even though it may seem simple, these papers require time and proper organization. It’s not just about writing what is being written on your laptop, the survey goes deeper than that. Never-the-less, we recommend remembering that working on review essay can be described as balancing between a number of rules and your creativity.
– Do not be afraid to cut out some part of your essay if required
There’s no requirement to keep your essay 5 or 7 or 9 pages, thus, 2-3 is enough. Believe us, nobody wants to read dozens of papers full of ‘water’. Only strong theoretical part and decent critical analysis will give you possibilities to draw teacher’s attention and get A+.
3 ‘Seems to be Obvious’ tips
Organize your time
Writing an essay may seem to be easy, never-the-less, it may take days. Our idea is to help you in preparation. Now try to prepare your spare time or, to be specific, to be organized. For instance, you have 10 days to complete your survey essay. The best decision is to write 1 to 2 hours a day so in 7 days you will have 70 percent of your paper written. Keep in mind that step by step work (especially if you move in small steps) guarantees the result by all means. This is the law.
Organize your desk
Prepare all required literature, papers, blank notes, pens, pencils and any other things you need to calmly sit and work on your review essay. The review implies your own opinion and critical thinking, that’s why there have to be no distractions. It goes without mentioning that you have to turn off your smartphone or at least turn it to ‘airplane’ mode. Believe us, neither Instagram nor Facebook will help you to complete your survey essay.
Do not hesitate to use professional services
If you’re thinking in style of ‘to use or not to use’, we give you permission to use any professional services you want. It will save your time and money. For instance, Grammarly is one of the top-notch services to check your spelling, writing and other mistakes.
Nota Bene again, if you’re not sure in formatting or style of your survey essay, do not hesitate to hire a professional editor and he’ll give you a row of useful advice. In brief, if you’re not chasing some tricky service to get help for writing a review essay — relax and get that help.
Before you start working on your review essay, consider the following
1) Consider your impression of the novel
2) Count memorable details and write them down
3) Try to interpret the message of the novel in your special way.
4) Read to experts talking about the given review
5) Base your arguments on the different elements of novel poetry
6) Do not be afraid to discuss conflicting opinions about the masterpiece
7) Mix theoretical part and analysis
8) You can offer proof of your statements (quotes from a novel)
9) Comment on the plot, structure, characters, and source material.
10) Do not be afraid to draw parallels between the novel and other novels you have read
11) Always search for details that no one has spotted
12) Finish with creating an interactive analysis involve your teacher (audience) into a discussion
Step by Step Guide How to Write an Excellent Review Essay
Beginnings is always the hardest – this is the law. This is the thing where you set the pace and determine how to approach this assignment in the most efficient manner. There are several useful tips to kick-start the review writing process
1) Watch the movie or documentary twice and take notes of both major and minor events and characters. It’s a mistake to rely on the power of your memory only, there’s always something we overlook or forget
2) Carry out a thorough research. Watching the movie isn’t enough, research is equally important. Seek for some details such as the name of the author and higher motivation to make that film or documentary work, locations, plot, characterization, historic events that served as an inspiration for the movie (if applicable). Briefly, your research should serve to collect information that provides more depth to the review
3) Analyze the novel poetry movie after you saw watched it. Don’t start working on the review if you aren’t sure you understand the film. Evaluate the movie from the beginning to an end. Re-watch, re-read it (if required), if you find some parts confusing.
4) Draft an outline — it will help you to proofread the paper with more effect
5) Include examples for claims you make about the movie. If the plot has holes, then mention an example of a situation or scene when that was evident. Also, if the character(s) is poorly developed or bad casting affected the movie quality, name examples too. Provide examples when commenting dialogues, locations, plot, everything. If you want the reader to be agreed with you, it’s essential to back up your claims with evidence. You don’t want to make it seem like you’re praising or criticizing the movie without any reason whatsoever
Consider and comment a movie’s originality and quality of scenes. Explain how the movie stands out or whether it just uses the same approach that worked for previous works in the industry.
Good luck! Now you have all the tools to write a decent review paper which have all chances to get a high mark.